If you haven't heard of "Hamilton: An American Musical," you may have been living under a rock for the past 7-8 years.
Americans have undeniably faced unprecedented challenges during that time.
Fortunately, Lin-Manuel Miranda's song lyrics for "Hamilton" offer us some of the best, most inspirational quotes about freedom, love and the fight to do and be better we could ask for.
The movie version of the Broadway musical, known to fans as #Hamifilm, was shot in New York over the span of three day in July 2016, and began streaming on Disney Plus over Independence Day weekend back in 2020.
At the time, the show was infamous for being perpetually sold out in both North America and London. It had just won the Pulitzer Prize in drama and the Tony Award for best new musical. And Miranda, who wrote the music, book and lyrics, was still starring in the title role.
The critically acclaimed Broadway show opened in 2015, and even during its off-Broadway run, "Hamilton" received a record-breaking number of awards.
Flash forward a few years and the show is still stunning audiences, winning 11 Tonys, a few Emmys, a grammy, and even a Pulitzer Prize.
Below is a full song list from "Hamilton," along with inspirational quotes from Lin-Manuel Miranda's lyrics about fighting for freedom and love.
Read them as you follow along with the movie, and then share those that inspire you most with friends and followers on social media.
46 Best "Hamilton" Quotes from Each Song's Lyrics
Hamilton, Act I
1. "Then a hurricane came, and devastation reigned. Our man saw his future drip, drippin’ down the drain." — George Washington, "Alexander Hamilton"
2. "While we're talking, let me offer you some free advice: Talk less." — Aaron Burr, "Aaron Burr, Sir"
3. "Scratch that: this is not a moment, it's the movement." — Alexander Hamilton, "My Shot"
4. "I may not live to see our glory, but I will gladly join the fight. And when our children tell our story, they'll tell the story of tonight." — Alexander Hamilton, "The Story Of Tonight"
5. "You want a revolution? I want a revelation" — Angelica Schuyler, "The Schuyler Sisters"
6. "Don't modulate the key then not debate with me." — Alexander Hamilton, "Farmer Refuted"
7. "And no, don't change the subject, 'cause you're my favorite subject." — King George III, "You'll Be Back"
8. "We are a powder keg about to explode. I need someone like you to lighten the load." — George Washington, "Right Hand Man"
9. "Washington hires Hamilton right on sight. But Hamilton still wants to fight, not write." — Aaron Burr, "A Winter's Ball"
10. "Where are you taking me? I'm about to change your life." — Alexander Hamilton and Angelica Schuyler, "Helpless"
11. "And when you said 'Hi' I forgot my dang name. Set my heart aflame. Every part aflame. This is not a game." — Angelica Schuyler, "Satisfied"
12. "I'll see you on the other side of the war." — Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton, "The Story of Tonight (Reprise)"
13. "We rise and we fall and we break. We fall and we make our mistakes." — Aaron Burr, "Wait For It"
14. "Don't do a thing. History will prove him wrong." — George Washington, "Stay Alive"
15. "Negotiate a peace. Or negotiate a time and place." — Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton, "Ten Duel Commandments"
16. "My name's been through a lot, I can take it." — George Washington, "Meet Me Inside"
17. "Let this moment be the first chapter where you decide to stay. And I could be enough. And we could be enough. That would be enough." — Eliza Hamilton, "That Would Be Enough"
18. "If we manage to get this right they’ll surrender by early light. The world will never be the same." — George Washington, "Guns and Ships"
19. "I know that we can win. I know that greatness lies in you. But remember from here on in history has its eyes on you." — George Washington, "History Has Its Eyes On You"
20. "And so the American experiment begins with my friends all scattered to the winds." — Alexander Hamilton, "Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down)"
21. "Oceans rise. Empires fall. It's much harder when it's all your call." — King George III, "What Comes Next"
22. "I swear that I'll be around for you. I'll do whatever it takes. I'll make a million mistakes. I'll make the world safe and sound for you." — Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton, "Dear Theodosia"
23. "Why do you write like you're running out of time? Write day and night like you're running out of time? Ev'ry day you fight, like you're running out of time. Keep on fighting in the meantime. Non-stop." — Aaron Burr/ Ensemble, "Non-Stop"
24. "Have it all, lose it all. You ready for more yet?" — Aaron Burr, "What'd I Miss"
25. "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. We fought for these ideals we shouldn't settle for less." — Thomas Jefferson, "Cabinet Battle #1"
26. "If you take your time (look around you will make your mark. Close your eyes and dream when the night gets dark." — Eliza Hamilton and Angelica Schuyler, "Take A Break"
27. "There's nothing like summer in the city. Someone under stress meets someone looking pretty." — Aaron Burr, "Say No To This"
28. "In God we trust. But we'll never really know what got discussed." — Aaron Burr, "The Room Where It Happens"
29. "I swear your pride will be the death of us all. Beware, it goeth before the fall." — Aaron Burr, "Schuyler Defeated"
30. "And revolution is messy but now is the time to stand." — Thomas Jefferson, "Cabinet Battle #2"
31. "Try not to crack under the stress. We're breaking down like fractions." — Thomas Jefferson, "Washington On Your Side"
32. "I wanna sit under my own vine and fig tree. A moment alone in the shade. At home in this nation we’ve made." — George Washington, "One Last Time"
33. "Oceans rise. Empires fall. Next to Washington, they all look small." — King George III, "I Know Him"
34. "Let's let him know what we know." — Thomas Jefferson, "The Adams Administration"
Related Stories From YourTango:
35. "Rumors only grow. And we both know what we know." — Aaron Burr, "We Know"
36. "In the eye of a hurricane there is quiet for just a moment." — Alexander Hamilton, "Hurricane"
37. "I love my sister more than anything in this life. I will choose her happiness over mine every time." — Angelica Schuyler, "The Reynolds Pamphlet"
38. "And when you were mine, the world seemed to burn." — Eliza Hamilton, "Burn"
39. "Look 'em in the eye, aim no higher. Summon all the courage you require." — Philip Hamilton, "Blow Us All Away"
40. "I did exactly as you said, Pa. I held my head up high." — Philip Hamilton, "Stay Alive (Reprise)"
41. "There are moments that the words don't reach." — Angelica Schuyler, "It's Quiet Uptown"
42. "Talk less (Burr!). Smile more (Burr!). Don't let 'em know what you're against or what you're for (Burr!)" — Aaron Burr, "Election of 1800"
43. "You've kept me from the room where it happens for the last time." — Aaron Burr, "Your Obedient Servant"
44. "Come back to bed. That would be enough." — Eliza Hamilton, "Best of Wives and Best of Women"
45. "Legacy, what is a legacy? It's planting seeds in a garden you never get to see." — Alexander Hamilton, "The World Was Wide Enough"
46. "Let me tell you what I wish I'd known when I was young and dreamed of glory. You have no control: Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?" — Washington and Company, "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story"
More for You on YourTango:
Deputy Editor Arianna Jeret, MA/MSW, has been featured in Cosmopolitan, The Huffington Post, Yahoo Style, MSN, Fox News, Bustle, Parents and more. Find her on Twitter for more.