The holidays have (finally) come to an end, which means another year is closing and a new one will soon begin. It's about that time where many of us reflect on the past year and start thinking of what we would like to accomplish in the year ahead.
One great way to get yourself motivated for a Happy New Year, especially when things have been as tough as they've been worldwide in a year like 2021, is by reading and sharing the best inspirational quotes you can find.
The most inspiring Happy New Year quotes and wishes are those that remind you that no matter how hard things may be and no matter how much you've lost, the universe is constantly surrounding us with opportunities to grow, create, love, cherish and heal.
We won't even try to sugarcoat the challenges you've probably faced this year, and honestly, there's no reason to. We cannot wipe the slate clean before 2022 begins. What we can do is look at the events of the past year as lessons and opportunities to do and be better as individuals and as a human collective.
It's time to acknowledge the good and bad we've all been through in the last year and use both as an stepping stone for enhancing new experiences and opportunities as they come our way.
To help you carry a positive outlook into 2022, here are the 90 best Happy New Year quotes to keep you inspired and motivated to make this the best year you possibly can.
1. "New beginnings are in order, and you are bound to feel some level of excitement as new chances come your way." — Auliq Ice
2. "We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day." — Edith Lovejoy Pierce
3. "We spend January 1st walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives ... not looking for flaws but for potential." — Ellen Goodman
4. “What the new year brings to you will depend a great deal on what you bring to the new year.” — Vern McLellan
5. "For last year's words belong to last year's language. And next year's words await another voice." — T.S. Eliot
6. "An optimist stays up until midnight to see the new year in. A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves." — William E. Vaughan
7. "The beginning is the most important part of the work." — Plato
8. “Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man.” — Benjamin Franklin
9. “The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul…” — Gilbert K. Chesterton
10. "Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right." — Oprah Winfrey
11. "I choose to make the rest of my life the best of my life." — Louise Hay
12. “Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” — Martin Luther King Jr.
13. "New year—a new chapter, new verse, or just the same old story? Ultimately we write it. The choice is ours." — Alex Morritt
14. "The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be." — Ralph Waldo Emerson
15. "Whatever it is you're scared of doing, do it. Make your mistakes, next year and forever." — Neil Gaiman
16. "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." — C.S. Lewis
17. "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." — Maya Angelou
18. "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other." — Abraham Lincoln
19. "Listen. I wish I could tell you it gets better. But, it doesn't get better. You get better." — Joan Rivers
20. "Each year's regret are envelopes in which messages of hope are found for the new year." — John R. Dallas
21. "What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't even happened yet." — Anne Frank
22. "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams." — Henry David Thoreau
23. "You do not find the happy life. You make it." — Camilla Eyring Kimball
24. "Year's end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on." — Hal Borland
25. "If you're brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello." — Paulo Coehlo
26. "Strength shows not only the ability to persist, but the ability to start over." — F. Scott Fitzgerald
27. "As long as I am breathing, in my eyes, I am just beginning." — Criss Jami
28. "Character is the ability to carry out a good resolution long after the excitement of the moment has passed." — Cavett Robert
29. "Every time you tear a leaf off a calendar, you present a new place for new ideas." — Charles Kettering
30. "There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind." — C.S. Lewis
31. "Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve. Middle Age is when you're forced to." — Bill Vaughan
32. "Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering, 'It will be happier.'" — Alfred Lord Tennyson
33. "The best way to predict the future is to create it." — Abraham Lincoln
34. “You will never win if you never begin.” — Helen Rowland
35. “This is a new year. A new beginning. And things will change.” — Taylor Swift
36. “Take a leap of faith and begin this wondrous new year by believing.” — Sarah Ban Breathnach
37. “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
38. “Nothing in the universe can stop you from letting go and starting over.” — Guy Finley
39. “Every single year, we’re a different person. I don’t think we’re the same person all of our lives.” — Steven Spielberg
40. "Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties." — Helen Keller
41. “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” — Nelson Mandela
42. "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." — Neale Donald Walsch
43. "You gotta find your best self and when you do, you gotta hold on to it for dear life." — Cheryl Strayed
44. "And now we welcome the new year. Full of things that have never been." — Rainer Maria Rilke
45. "And suddenly you know: It's time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings." — Meister Eckhart
46. "Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year." — Ralph Waldo Emerson
47. "Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great." — John D. Rockefeller
48. “The road ahead is not some predetermined path that I am forced to trod, but it is a rich byway that I can help create.” — Craig D. Lounsbrough
49. "And I went into the new year loving myself a little less, but a little more where it actually mattered." — Dominic Riccitello
50. "With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts." — Eleanor Roosevelt
51. "You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." — Margret Thatcher
52. "Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, I'm possible." — Audrey Hepburn
53. "A year from now you will wish you had started today." — Karen Lamb
54. "If you want to live a happy life, tie it a goal, not to people or objects." — Albert Einstein
55. "Each year's regrets are envelopes in which messages of hope are found for the new year." — Ralph Waldo Emerson
56. "Tomorrow is the first black page of a 365-page book. Write a good one." — Brad Paisley
57. “I close my eyes to old ends. And open my heart to new beginnings." — Nick Frederickson
58. "Take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly, and try another. But by all means, try something." — Franklin Roosevelt
59. “Your present circumstances don’t determine where you can go. They merely determine where you start.” — Nido Qubein
60. “The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” — Dan Millman
61. “Youth is when you’re allowed to stay up late on New Year’s Eve. Middle age is when you’re forced to.” — Bill Vaughan
62. "New Year's Day now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual." — Mark Twain
63. "May you become smart enough to realize that resolutions don’t come true and wise enough to know that the difference between a new year and an old year is 1-minute past 12 AM."
64. "Every New Year’s I have the same question: 'How did I get home?'" — Melanie White
65. “'Out with the old, in with the new' is a fitting expression for a holiday that is based on vomiting." — Andy Borowitz
66. "I have a big pile of regrets from last year to sweep out the door... so I can start on a new pile."
67. “Making resolutions is a cleansing ritual of self-assessment and repentance that demands personal honesty and, ultimately, reinforces humility. Breaking them is part of the cycle.” — Eric Zorn
68. “It wouldn’t be New Year’s if I didn’t have regrets.” — William Thomas
69. "Does it worry you just a little that we need alcohol to face another year?"
70. "Every New Year is the direct descendant, isn’t it, of a long line of proven criminals?" — Ogden Nash
71. "My goal for 2019 is to never let myself fall as low as I did this year ... never again."
72. "Happy new dreams. Happy new days. Happy new desires. Happy new ways. Happy New Year. Happy new you."
73. "12 new chapters, 365 new chances."
74. "New Year. New feels. New chances. Same dreams. Fresh starts."
75. "365 new days. 365 new chances."
76. "Happiness is the new rich. Inner peace is the new success. Health is the new wealth. Kindness is the new cool."
77. "Wishing you peace, love, and laughter in the new year."
78. "A dream written down with a date becomes a goal. A goal broken down into steps becomes a plan. A plan backed by action becomes reality."
79. "New year.
New me. Better me."
80. "A new year. A fresh start. Same dreams. Feel the fear and do it anyway. 365 new days. 365 chances."
81. "Page 1 of 365 ..."
82. "Dream it. Wish it. Do it."
83. "This is the year I will be stronger, braver, kinder, and unstoppable. This is the year I will be fierce."
84. "Dear Self, This is going to be your year. So dust yourself off and get started. Love, Me."
85. "Dear Past, Thanks for all the lessons. Dear Future, I am ready."
86. "The new year means nothing if you're still in love with your comfort zone."
87. "More sleep. More music. More tea. More books. More sunsets. More creating. More long walks. More laughter. More hugs. More dreaming. More road trips. More fun. More love."
88. "This is the beginning, of anything you want."
89. "Every new day is another chance to change your life."
90. "Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations."
Jonathan Mui is a writer who covers astrology, pop culture and relationship topics.