My sister has always been there for me. Even when we were little and would argue with each other until we were practically blue in the face, she was there for me.
Now that we’ve grown older, our relationship has gotten a lot stronger. And I know, without even the slightest bit of hesitation, that she has my back as I go through all kinds of stuff in life, just like I have hers.
It’s not so much an obligation to help my family, but more so that she is one of my best friends — and I would do anything for my best friends.
But when I think about everything my sister has done for me, even if it was just being awake late at night when I needed someone to talk to, I think about the magnitude of even just having her in my life. Without her, I wouldn’t be the person I am today.
And even if we fight (which we most definitely will) or move far away from each other, I hope she knows that I will spend my life having her back too, as a way to thank her for having mine.
Sisters you can count on (no matter what) are a rare breed, so if you have a sister like that in your life, count yourself lucky. And when you’re feeling sappy and sentimental like I am right now, don’t be afraid to call her up or text her and thank her for having your back.
If you don’t have the words to express how you feel, these sister quotes will help you out.
And when you’re all done being sappy, you can go back to calling each other nerds and stealing each other’s clothes. Because that is what sisters are for.
75 Best Sister Quotes Of All Time
1. "I may not be able to solve all of your problems, but I promise you won't have to face them alone."
2. “Having a sister is like having a best friend you can’t get rid of. You know whatever you do, they’ll still be there.” —Amy Li
3. “As you’re growing up and you’re close, you can’t trust anyone the way you trust your sister, but also they have the power to wound you in ways no one else really does.” —Ally Condie
4. “We’ll always fight, but we’ll always make up as well. That’s what sisters do: we argue, we point out each other’s frailties, mistakes, and bad judgment, we flash the insecurities we’ve had since childhood, and then we come back together. Until the next time.” —Lisa See
5. "Being sisters means you always have back up."
6. “I’m the big sister. I want to make sure she has everything, even if I don’t have anything. It’s hard. I love her too much. That’s what counts.” —Venus Williams
7. “I could never love anyone as I love my sisters.” —Little Women film adaptation (1994)
8. “If your sister is in a tearing hurry to go out and cannot catch your eye, she’s wearing your best sweater.” —Pam Brown
9. "I know it has been tough, but I'm still cheering for you (always)."
10. “Sisters make the best friends in the world.” —Marilyn Monroe
11. “Of two sisters one is always the watcher, one the dancer.” —Louise Glück
12. “A sister is like yourself in a different movie, a movie that stars you in a different life.” —Deborah Tannen
13. "There are rare people who will show up at the right time, help you through the hard times and stay into your best times... those are the keepers." —Nausicaa Twila
14. “Is solace anywhere more comforting than that in the arms of a sister?” —Alice Walker
15. “You may be as different as the sun and the moon, but the same blood flows through both your hearts. You need her, as she needs you.” —George R.R. Martin
16.“A sister can be seen as someone who is both ourselves and very much not ourselves—a special kind of double.” —Toni Morrison
17. "Sometimes we need someone to simply be there. Not to fix anything, or to do anything in particular, but just to let us feel that we are cared for and supported."
18. “When my sister, Joan, arrived I asked if I could swap her for a rabbit. When I think what a marvelous friend she’s been, I’m so glad my parents didn’t take me at my word.” —Maeve Binchy
19. “Acquaintances were always on their best behavior, but sisters loved each other enough to say anything.” —Lauren Weisberger
20. "Sister, you are like my angel, with a love that always glows. You are one of the greatest gifts my heart will ever know."
21. “I do not see as well without her. I do not hear as well without her. I do not feel as well without her. I would be better off without a hand or a leg than without my sister.” —Erin Morgenstern
22. “Don’t talk about my sister; don’t play with me about my sister. If you do, you’ll see another side of me.” —Beyoncé
23. "A person that truly loves you will never let you go, no matter how hard the situation is."
24. “That’s the best thing about little sisters: They spend so much time wishing they were elder sisters that in the end they’re far wiser than the elder ones could ever be.” —Gemma Burgess
25. “Nobody fights you like your own sister; nobody else knows the most vulnerable parts of you and will aim for them without mercy.” —Jojo Moyes
26. “My sister was the one person who told me not to change, that my skin was beautiful. She really helped me feel good about myself.” —Khoudia Diop
27. "To my sister: You are my best friend, my human diary, and my other half. You mean the world to me and I love you."
28. “If you don’t annoy your big sister for no good reason from time to time, she thinks you don’t love her anymore.” —Pearl Cleage
29. “If you don’t understand how a woman could both love her sister dearly and want to wring her neck at the same time, then you were probably an only child.” —Linda Sunshine
30. "A loyal sister is worth a thousand friends."
31. “Sisters function as safety nets in a chaotic world simply by being there for each other.” —Carol Saline
32. “For there is no friend like a sister in calm or stormy weather; To cheer one on the tedious way, To fetch one if one goes astray, To lift one if one totters down, To strengthen whilst one stands.” —Christina Rossetti
33. “My sister…is the person who keeps me in line, whether I like it or not. I trust her and also have a good, healthy fear of her.” —Katy Perry
34. "When life's hills become too steep to climb on my own, my sister takes my hand and reminds me that I didn't have to climb it alone to begin with."
35. “I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness.” —Emily Dickinson
36. “Sweet is the voice of a sister in the season of sorrow.” —Benjamin Disraeli
37. "If one day you feel like crying, call me. I can't promise to make you laugh, but I'm willing to cry with you."
38. “Lord help the mister who comes between me and my sister, and lord help the sister who comes between me and my man.” —Irving Berlin
39. “What are sisters for if not to point out the things the rest of the world is too polite to mention.” ―Claire Cook
40. "The greatest gift our parents ever gave us was each other."
41. “There can be no situation in life in which the conversation of my dear sister will not administer some comfort to me.” —Mary Worley Montagu
42. “I know my sister like I know my own mind/You will never find anyone as trusting or as kind…I love my sister more than anything in this life/I will choose her happiness over mine every time.” —Hamilton
43. "The best advice my mother ever gave me: 'Be nice to your sister. Your friends will come and go, but you will always have your sister. And I promise that someday she will be your best friend."
44. “There is no place for secrets in sisterhood.” —Erin Forbes
45. “But the love of sisters needs no words. It does not depend on memories, or mementos, or proof. It runs as deep as a heartbeat. It is as ever-present as a pulse.” —Lisa Wingate
46. “Your sister knows everything to say to piss you off. But sisters tend to be each other’s biggest champion and also their hardest critics.” —Erin Foster
47. "You are the person who holds me in my bad times, you are the person who dances with me in my happiness. I can't recall even a single day when you were absent from my life. I really love you sister."
48. “Four sisters, parted for an hour/None lost, one only gone before/Made by love’s immortal power/Nearest and dearest evermore.” —Louisa May Alcott
49. “A sister is both your mirror — and your opposite.” —Elizabeth Fishel
50. "Sisters are like cookies and milk... Whether things are sweet or crummy, they're better together."
51. "A sister smiles when one tells stories—for she knows where the decoration has been added." —Chris Montaigne
52. “The only person I lie to is my little sister, when I steal her clothes.” —Kendall Jenner
53. "Sisters function as safety nets in a chaotic world simply by being there for each other." —Carol Saline
54. "Husbands come and go; children come and eventually they go. Friends grow up and move away. But the one thing that's never lost is your sister." —Gail Sheeny
55. "Sister is our first friend and second mother." —Sunny Gupta
56. "More than Santa Claus, your sister knows when you've been bad and good." —Linda Sunshine
57. "My support, my ally, my entertainment, my audience, my critic, my biggest fan, my best friend... my sister!"
58. "Sister is probably the most competitive relationship within the family, but once the sisters are grown, it becomes the strongest relationship." —Margaret Mead
59. “There’s no better friend than a sister.” —Mary Engelbreit
60. “So distant yet so close. So different yet so similar. That’s why I love my sister.” —Maxime Lagacé
61. "Sisters are angels who lift us up when our wings forget how to fly."
62. “One’s sister is part of one’s essential self, an eternal presence of ones’ heart, soul and memory.” —Susan Cabil
63. “To have a loving relationship with a sister is not simply to have a buddy or a confident… it is to have a soul mate for life.” —Victoria Secunda
64.”You’re not my best friend. You’re my sister, and that’s more.” —Jenny Han
65. "She stands firmly on her own two feet and I just behind her; should she ever need me." —J. Iron Word
66. “I’ve known every love possible, but as the years stretched out, the love I longed for the most is the one I shared with my sister.” —Josephine Angelini
67. “Sisters. Because we all need someone who will defend us behind our back and then call us on our sh*t to our face.” —Brooke Hampton
68. “She is the mother I never had, she is the sister everybody would want. She is the friend that everybody deserves. I don’t know a better person.” —Oprah Winfrey
69. “You know full well as I do the value of sisters’ affections; there is nothing like it in this world.” —Charlotte Bronte
70. "Sister: A person who's been where you've been; someone you can call when things aren't going right; is more than just family; a sister is a forever friend."
71. “A sister is a friend you don’t have to avoid the truth with.” —Michelle Malm
72. “What’s the good of news if you haven’t a sister to share it?” —James DeVries
73. "Sisters never quite forgive each other for what happened when they were five." —Pam Brown
74. “A sister is a gift to the heart, a friend to the spirit, a golden thread to the meaning of life.” —Isadora James
75. "A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost." —Marion C. Garretty
More for You on YourTango:
Emily Ratay is a full-time writer living in Pittsburgh. She's passionate about the environment and feminism, and knows that anything is possible in the right pair of shoes.