Saying goodbye to someone is never an easy task. If it’s someone that you’re especially close to, then saying goodbye can actually be the hardest thing you could ever do. After all, when two people are very close to each other, chances are they’ve shared many memories and created a strong bond together.
These sad goodbye quotes explain why letting go of that is so tough.
Saying goodbye signals the end of something, and no one likes endings. But sadly, goodbyes are an inevitable part of life. Not everyone is going to stick by your side forever.
We have to eventually let people go because we all go down different paths in life and we can’t always stick with the same people forever.
That’s why it’s so important to learn how to say goodbye gracefully.
RELATED: 17 Seriously Sad Quotes From Disney Movies (*Sniffle*)
We can’t prevent separation from happening, but we can learn to embrace the temporary time that we spend with people.
Goodbyes are hard no matter what. If you need some help, these farewell quotes will make you feel less alone.
70 Goodbye Quotes to Help You Say Farewell
Saying Goodbye Quotes
1. “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” — "Winnie The Pooh" by A.A. Milne
2. “If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello.” — Paulo Coehlo
3. "Say goodbye to all your troubles and worries today so you can say welcome to joy and life tomorrow." — Myke Blaze
4. “So for now I say goodbye to this chapter of my life and I look forward to what comes next.” — Brooke Davis
5. "Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave." — William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
6. "We may not know what each day has in store for us. We could be gone tomorrow. Any minute could be our goodbye. But we do have this moment. This time. Today. Right now. It takes way more effort to shell out hate than it does to allow love to flow freely in our lives. After all, it is what we were born to do." — Grace Gealey
7. "Goodbye...? Oh no, please. Can’t, we go back to page one and do it all over again?" — "Winnie The Pooh" by A.A. Milne
8. "Goodbye doesn’t mean the end. It only means that I will return or see you some other time. Take the sky, for example, the sun tells the sky goodbye when it gets dark only to return the next day once it is bright." — Frank Alile
9. “By and by we shall say goodbye” ― Ernest Agyemang Yeboah
10. “A man never knows how to say goodbye; a woman never knows when to say it.” — Helen Rowland
11. “Saying goodbye doesn’t mean anything. It’s the time we spent together that matters, not how we left it.” — Trey Parker
12. “I didn’t think saying good-bye would be so hard. And with everything that’s to come—We’ll face it together. To whatever end.” ― Sarah J. Maas
13. “Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.” — Rumi
RELATED: 65 Best Grief Quotes To Help Someone Cope With Loss
Saddest Goodbye Quotes
14. "The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again." — Charles Dickens
15. “Saying goodbye is a little like dying.” — Marjane Satrapi
16. “Sadly enough, the most painful goodbyes are the ones that are left unsaid and never explained.” — Jonathan Harnisch
17. “There's nothing good about goodnight when it means goodbye.” — Jeff Thomas
18. “Goodbye always makes my throat hurt.” — Charlie Brown
19. “At the end of the day I have always seen the end of my relationships as a personal failure. There is nothing ever pretty in saying goodbye.” — Elisabetta Canalis
20. “Promise me you’ll never forget me because if I thought you would I’d never leave.” — "Winnie The Pooh" by A.A. Milne
21. "Goodbye is the saddest word I ever heard, goodbye is the last time I will hold you near." — Celine Dion
22. “The two hardest things to say in life are hello for the first time and goodbye for the last.” — Moira Rogers
23. “A ‘hello again’ after the final goodbye is sometimes harder than just keeping the goodbye as it was.” — Jessiqua Wittman
RELATED: 60 Quotes For Overcoming Sadness When It Feels Like Too Much To Bear
Saying Goodbye Quotes To Someone You Love
24. “You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing.” — E.B. White, "Charlotte's Web"
25. "Do not be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends." — Richard Bach
26. "You and I will meet again, when we least expect it, one day in a far-off place. I will recognize your face, I will not say goodbye my friend, for you and I will meet again." — Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, "You And I Will Meet Again"
27. "Everyone can have their heart broken. Even if you know the relationship is not working. It is still sad. Even in a bad relationship, they are a part of your life for a long time, and saying goodbye to that can be difficult." — James Marsden
28. “It's the emptiest and yet the fullest of all human messages: 'Good-bye.’” ― Kurt Vonnegut
29. “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” — Unknown
30. “Never say goodbye because goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting.” — J.M. Barrie, "Peter Pan"
31. “So long as the memory of certain beloved friends lives in my heart, I shall say that life is good.” — Helen Keller
32. “Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.” — Henry David Thoreau
33. “No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other’s worth.” — Robert Southey
34. "Absence from whom we love is worse than death, and frustrates hope severer than despair." — William Cowper
35. "Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation." — Khalil Gibran
36. "Anyone with a heart, a family, has experienced loss. No one escapes unscathed. Every story of separation is different, but I think we all understand the basic, wretching emotion that comes from saying goodbye, not knowing if we will see that person again, or perhaps knowing that we will not." — Luanne Rice
RELATED: 122 Loneliness Quotes To Make You Feel Less Alone
37. “The last day is way shorter than counting to ten.” — Leena Ahmad Almashat
38. “Farewell has a sweet sound of reluctance. Good-bye is short and final, a word with teeth sharp to bite through the string that ties past to the future.” — John Steinbeck
39. “It’s time to say goodbye, but I think goodbyes are sad and I’d much rather say hello. Hello to a new adventure.” — Ernie Harwell
40. “Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.” — Garrison Keillor
41. “It is so hard to leave — until you leave. And then it is the easiest thing in the world.” — John Green
42. “All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.” — Anatole France
RELATED: 'I'm Done & I Can't Do This Anymore' — Sad Quotes About Walking Away
Quotes For Saying Goodbye Without Being Sad
43. “I guess that’s part of growing up, too—saying good-bye to the things you used to love.” — Jenny Han
44. “And I know, despite what may have happened at the end, he loved you. And you still love him. Love him enough to say goodbye.” — Allyson Kennedy
45. "It hurts her so to love you, but she won't say goodbye.” — Lang Leav
46. “The story of life is quicker than the wink of an eye, the story of love is hello and goodbye... until we meet again” ― Jimi Hendrix
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Join now for YourTango's trending articles, top expert advice and personal horoscopes delivered straight to your inbox each morning.
47. “You’ve changed me forever. And I’ll never forget you.” ― Kiera Cass
48. “My breaking heart and I agree, that you and I could never be, so with my best... my very best, I set you free” ― Rachel Yamagata
49. “When I am brave enough to say goodbye I'll use the wings you gave me and away I'll fly.” ― Celia McMahon
50. “Before you leave me again, tell me, so I can let you know if I’m ready to watch you go...” ― Donna M. Zadunajsky
51. “We started here together and now we’re leaving the same way. The funny thing is you never appreciate what you had yesterday until it is gone today.” — Unknown
52. “From all my dreams where you felt everlasting to all my clothes your words used to wear, to the old end, to the new beginning, you have lost me everywhere.” ― Khadija Rupa
53. "It hurts me to say goodbye to you, my love, I will take solace in the fact that tomorrow is another day and until then I will hold on to thoughts of you to keep my heart warm." — Stella Nwagbogwu
54. "'What was it like to lose him?' Asked Sorrow. There was a long pause before I responded: 'It was like hearing every goodbye ever said to me — said all at once.'” — Lang Leav
55. “The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected. Maybe they always have been and will be. Maybe we've lived a thousand lives before this one and in each of them we've found each other. And maybe each time, we've been forced apart for the same reasons. That means that this goodbye is both a goodbye for the past ten thousand years and a prelude to what will come.” ―Nicholas Sparks, "The Notebook"
57. “When I had to say goodbye to you, my love, it was like saying goodbye to my life.” — Unknown
58. “I don’t think that I could ever say goodbye to you… Not even if you said it to me.” ― Jaimie Roberts
59. “This is not a goodbye, my darling, this is a thank you. Thank you for coming into my life and giving me joy, thank you for loving me and receiving my love in return. Thank you for the memories I will cherish forever. But most of all, thank you for showing me that there will come a time when I can eventually let you go." — Nicholas Sparks, "Message In A Bottle"
60. “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” — Mahatma Gandhi
61. “Remember me and smile, for it's better to forget than to remember me and cry.” — Dr. Seuss
62. “I am not afraid to die; I am only afraid of saying goodbye to you forever.” — Shannon L. Alder
RELATED: 50 Sad Quotes You Can Relate To When Life & Love Get You Down
Funny Goodbye Quotes
63. "90% of men kiss their wife goodbye when they leave the house. 10% kiss their house goodbye when they leave the wife.'
64. "Not all goodbyes are sad, for example, 'Goodbye Class!'"
65. "It will not be the same without you. It will actually be better!"
66. "Farewell. Someone is really going to miss you. (But, it is not going to be me!)"
67. "I still see your face when I am dreaming. That's why I always wake up screaming.'
68. "Goodbye, we will miss trying to avoid you around here!"
69. "Goodbye, don't cry! We won't!"
70. "I am looking forward to not keeping in touch with you! So long!"
RELATED: 31 Funny Quotes To Lighten The Mood When You're Feeling Down And Depressed
More for You on YourTango:
Helen Luc is a writer and frequent contributor to YourTango. Her writing focuses on love, relationships, astrology, and pop culture topics.