40 Best Labor Day Quotes & Inspiring Sayings About Hard Work
Labor Day is a day to honor the works and contributions made by laborers in every career force.
This year, Labor Day falls on September 6, and may be a bit more solemn than it in years past as we are still working our way through a confusing pandemic, with many people still out of work or working from home.
Everyone in the workforce deserve praise for their courage and bravery, especially frontline workers, as well as some much-needed rest. In between whatever celebrations you may have planned, take some time to reflect and thank the people who work hard and carry on with these motivational Labor Day quotes.
What is Labor Day and why do we celebrate it?
First recognized all the way back in 1894, Labor Day is a holiday celebrated on the first Monday of September to honos the achievements and hard work of American citizens.
The first Labor Day parade technically took place on September 5, 1882, when workers took a day off of work to march in New York City.
Today, we continue to take that day off to appreciate hard work with parties and parades.
40 Labor Day Quotes to Celebrate Your Hard Work
1. “Nothing ever comes to one that is worth having except as a result of hard work.” — Booker T. Washington
2. “No human masterpiece has been created without great labour.” — Andre Gide
3. “Take rest. A field that has rested gives a bountiful crop.” — Ovid
4. “Nothing will work unless you do.” — Maya Angelou
5. “Dare to be honest and fear no labour.” — Robert Burns
6. "Follow your passion, be prepared to work hard and sacrifice, and, above all, don't let anyone limit your dreams.” — Donovan Bailey
7. “The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you’re willing to work.” — Oprah Winfrey
8. “I’ve heard of nothing coming from nothing, but I’ve never heard of absolutely nothing coming from hard work.” — Uzo Aduba
9. “You have to fight to reach your dream. You have to sacrifice and work hard for it.” — Lionel Messi
10. “No work is insignificant. All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence.” — Martin Luther King, Jr
11. “It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.” — Theodore Roosevelt
12. “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” — Confucius
13. “There is precious little hope to be got out of whatever keeps us industrious, but there is a chance for us whenever we cease work and become stargazers.” — H.M. Tomlinson
14. “A man is not paid for having a head and hands, but for using them.” — Elbert Hubbard
15. “Before the reward there must be labor. You plant before you harvest. You sow in tears before you reap joy.” — Ralph Ransom
16. “Just try new things. Don’t be afraid. Step out of your comfort zones and soar, all right?” — Michelle Obama
17. “Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.” — Aristotle
18. “Labor Day is devoted to no man, living or dead, to no sect, race or nation.” — Samuel Gompers
19. “It is labor indeed that puts the difference on everything.” — John Locke
20. “When you put a lot of hard work into one goal and you achieve it, that’s a really good feeling.” — Derek Jeter
21. “As we celebrate Labor Day, we honor the men and women who fought tirelessly for workers’ rights, which are so critical to our strong and successful labor force.” — Elizabeth Esty
22. “To find joy in work is to discover the fountain of youth.” — Pearl S. Buck
23. “The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.” — Vince Lombardi
24. “It doesn’t matter how great your shoes are if you don’t accomplish anything in them.” — Martina Boone
25. “If people knew how hard I had to work to gain my mastery, it would not seem so wonderful at all.” — Michelangelo
26. “Your friends will believe in your potential, your enemies will make you live up to it.” — Tim Fargo
27. “Concentrate on your job and you will forget your other troubles.” — William Feather
28. “Inspiration usually comes during work, rather than before it.” — Madeleine L’Engle
29. “The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me?” — Ayn Rand
30. “When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.” — Paulo Coelho
31. “Work isn’t to make money; you work to justify life.” — Marc Chagall
32. “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.” — Robert Louis Stevenson
33. "Entrepreneurs average 3.8 failures before final success. What sets the successful ones apart is their amazing persistence." — Lisa M. Amos
34. "You may only succeed if you desire succeeding; you may only fail if you do not mind failing.” — Philippos
35. "The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary." — Vidal Sassoon
36. "The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus." — Bruce Lee
37. "In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is desire. No reasons or principle contain it or stand against it." — Jane Smiley
38. "I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well." — Diane Ackerman
39. "To be successful you must accept all challenges that come your way. You can't just accept the ones you like." — Mike Gafka
40. “Maybe your idea will be a huge success. Maybe it’ll be a small flame. Don’t you owe it to yourself to find out?” — Bianca Bass
More for You on YourTango:
Isabell Tenorio is a writer who covers astrology, pop culture, love and relationship topics.