If you’re looking for an excuse to pour yourself a glass of delicious red wine, good news! Red Wine Day is here on August 28th!
There’s no better way to celebrate National Red Wine Day than by indulging in your favorite red blend while sharing some fun red wine quotes.
Red wine is one of my personal favorites because of its many health benefits. Drinking a moderate amount of red wine has been shown to aid in staying heart healthy, combating inflammation, and living longer.
The occasional glass won’t hurt your waistline either. At only 125 calories per glass, red wine is much healthier than your typical cocktail.
Ever wondered what makes red wine different than white? It’s all about the grapes! White wine is made with white grapes to give it a crisp taste while red wine is made with red grapes for that bold taste we all know and love.
Red wine contains more health benefits than white wine because of its fermentation process. To make red wine, the skins of the grapes are left on during fermentation to offer an array of tasty benefits and create a deep red color.
Red wine also surpasses white wines' alcohol content, coming in at 3.1 grams of alcohol per glass vs. white wine's 2.9 grams.
If you’re concerned with carb consumption you may want to go with a red due to its low amount of carbohydrates. While both are relatively low in carbs, red wine has just four grams per glass vs. white wine's five grams.
If you weren’t going to celebrate already, now you have numerous healthy excuses to raise your glass. Sit back, pour a glass (or two), and unwind guilt-free knowing that if anything you’re just improving your health.
37 Red Wine Quotes to Entertain You While You Sip on National Red Wine Day
1. "Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine, There’s always laughter and good red wine. At least I’ve always found it so. Benedicamus Domino!" — Hilaire Belloc
2. "A good margarita, a good red wine, I like expensive alcohol, but not a lot of it. I don't like to throw up." — Denise Richards
3. "You were like red wine and honey, and the taste of you burnt my mouth with its sweetness." — Amy Lowell
4. "One holds a bottle of red wine by the neck, a woman by the waist, and a bottle of champagne by the derriere." — Mark Twain
5. “Wine adds a smile to friendship and a spark to love.” — Edmondo De Amicis
6. "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." — Rudyard Kipling
7. "The only advice I can give to aspiring writers is don't do it unless you're willing to give your whole life to it. Red wine and garlic also helps." — Jim Harrison
8. "Sometimes it would be nice to just have some red wine with dinner." — Kristin Davis
9. "The voice is an instrument that you really must take time to develop. It's like a good red wine. Give it time." — Cecilia Bartoli
10. "I drink red wine on ice to water it down." — Diane Keaton
11. “I’m like old wine. They don’t bring me out very often, but I’m well preserved.” — Rose Kennedy
12. "I'm on a lot of airplanes, so I just sip on red wine thinking of stupid ideas and, when I think of it, I wanna make it happen." — Bam Margera
13. “All wines should be tasted. Some should only be sipped, but with others, drink the whole bottle.” — Paulo Coelho
14. "Good wine needs neither bush nor preface to make it welcome. And they drank the red wine through the helmet barr'd." — Walter Scott
15. “Fan the flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship, and pass the rosy wine.” — Charles Dickens
16. "And her sweet red lips on these lips of mine Burned like the ruby fire set In the swinging lamp of a crimson shrine, Or the bleeding wounds of the pomegranate, Or the heart of the lotus drenched and wet With the spilt-out blood of the rose-red wine." — Oscar Wilde
17. “The first kiss and the first glass of wine are the best.” — Marty Rubin
18. "Candlelight and red wine? I don't know. Vulnerability catches me off guard every single time." — Madi Diaz
19. "I've got different ideas of complete happiness. But one is being by myself out in a forest, completely happy. Another is walking with a dog in some nice place. And three is sitting around preferably a fire, but not necessarily, and drinking red wine with friends and telling stories." — Jane Goodall
20. "Go out and see your friends and eat tapa and drink red wine and be in a beautiful place." — Anthony Bourdain
21. “You had me at merlot.”
22. "If Plato is a fine red wine, then Aristotle is a dry martini." — Eric Stoltz
23. "I like red wine because it's more sophisticated, more complex and mature. It's a bit like me, no longer young but not old yet either." — Mick Hucknall
24. "White wine goes great with Skittles, red wine goes great with Twix, and ... we're alcoholics, aren't we?" — Jimmy Fallon
25. "My wife and I really enjoy a glass of red wine. We're too old to drink cheap wine, and we don't." — Paul Henderson
26. "I just need to find a place for three weeks and work but sleep in the morning, maybe write a little bit, have a glass of red wine. That's my perfect holiday." — Melanie Laurent
27. “Most days I juggle everything quite well, on the other days there's always red wine.” — Rachael Bermingham
28. "A good glass of red wine or maybe a little bit too much every now and then is just fine." — Floor Jansen
29. "I'm happy in Lululemon, with a glass of red wine, watching HGTV." — Wendy Davis
30. "I could probably die happy with a cheeseboard and a glass of French red wine — that's my idea of a perfect dinner." — Deirdre O'Kane
31. "Slipcovers are great because they can be laundered after those all-too-frequent sippy cup and red wine incidents." — Mary Kay Andrews
32. "Italian wines are my favorites. I like a big, booming red wine that blows your taste buds away." — Rich Eisen
33. "Age can be wonderful for red wine, but not for spacecraft." — Nathan Myhrvold
34. "Every season is likeable, and wet days and fine, red wine and white, company and solitude. Even sleep, that deplorable curtailment of the joy of life, can be full of dreams; and the most common actions — a walk, a talk, solitude in one’s own orchard — can be enhanced and lit up by the association of the mind. Beauty is everywhere, and beauty is only two finger’s-breadth from goodness." — Virginia Woolf
35. "It is the crushed grape that gives out the blood-red wine: it is the suffering soul that breathes the sweetest melodies." — Mary Abigail Dodge
36. "I don’t trust the answers or the people who give me the answers. I believe in dirt and bone and flowers and fresh pasta and salsa cruda and red wine. I don’t believe in white wine; I insist on color." — Charles Bowden
37. "Give me a flagon of red wine, a book of verses, a loaf of bread, and a little idleness. If with such store I might sit by thy dear side in some lonely place, I should deem myself happier than a king in his kingdom." — Omar Khayyam
More for You on YourTango:
Lindsey Matthews is a writer who focuses on pop-culture, relationship and friendship topics.