Every year, the autumnal equinox (also known as the September equinox or the fall equinox) arrives on September 22. As the northern hemisphere officially enters autumn and the fall season begins, we are once again thrust into that strange state between extremes — a feeling captured in the best fall quotes we could find.
There are many reasons fall may be your favorite season. Pumpkin spice lattes appear. Brilliant sunrises light the morning sky. And then there's apple picking, pumpkin patches, and hayrides with cider.
Fall is when everything Halloween begins: decorating, outfit-planning, baking. Even if you’re not a major fan of Halloween, fall brings a sense of nostalgia, reminding you of what it was like when you trick-or-treated and jumped into piles of leaves as a kid.
And of course, autumn brings us leaves in glorious changing colors, transitioning from green to gold to red to brown to gone. As the bright leaves on our favorite trees grow fiery as the summer heat softens, we're reminded of how important it is to appreciate what we have before it's gone.
Autumn reminds us that change can be beautiful, and we gathered this collection of our favorite fall quotes to celebrate the best season of all.
30 Best Fall Quotes to Prove Autumn is the Best Season
1. “Fall has always been my favorite season. The time when everything bursts with its last beauty, as if nature had been saving up all year for the grand finale.” — Lauren DeStefano
Ends are, in some ways, spectacular beginnings.
2. “I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.” ― Henry David Thoreau
Sometimes it's like that.
3. "November is the pearl-grey month, the changeling between warm crimson October and cold white December, the month when the leaves fall in slow drifting whirls, and the shapes of the trees are revealed, when the earth imperceptibly wakes, and stretches her bare limbs and displays her stubborn unconquerable strength before she settles uneasily into winter. November is secret and silent." — Alison Uttley
Underrated months come into their own.
4. "Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I was a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns." — George Eliot
There's a reason why so many people are passionate about it.
5. "Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall." — F. Scott Fitzgerald
Fall is a fresh start.
6. "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers." — L.M. Montgomery
This month offers so much to be thankful for.
7. "Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower." — Albert Camus
Fall can offer a fresh perspective, too.
8. "Autumn, the year's last, loveliest smile." — William Cullen Bryant
It really does seem like the earth is smiling sometimes, most of all in fall.
9. "I notice that Autumn is more the season of the soul than of nature." — Friedrich Nietzsche
Though also, the smile can come from within.
10. "Every leaf speaks bliss to me." — Emily Brontë
In autumn, it's easier to pay attention to the little things.
11. "I am such an autumn person. Give me a quiet, cozy spot with a simple view of gorgeous trees with colorful leaves on a crisp September day, fuzzy socks, a warm drink, and a good book and I will be in all my glory." — McKenna Kaelin
The little things become the most enjoyable.
12. "Autumn mornings: sunshine and crisp air, birds and calmness, year's end and day's beginnings." — Terri Guillemets
There's nothing quite like a fall morning.
13. "And the sun took a step back, the leaves lulled themselves to sleep and Autumn was awakened." — Raquel Franco
The cooler weather makes room for other beautiful things.
14. "Wild is the music of autumnal winds / Amongst the faded woods." — William Wordsworth
Fall ignites your imagination.
15. "I see ... the turning of a leaf dancing in an autumn sun, and brilliant shades of crimson glowing when a day is done." — Mattie Elliott
You can't be mad when a fall day is done, because its sunset is breathtaking.
16. "Autumn burned brightly, a running flame through the mountains, a torch flung to the trees." — Faith Baldwin
While fall is often described as calm and quiet, it can be pretty fierce.
17. "It was November, the month of crimson sunsets, parting birds, deep, sad hymns of the sea, passionate wind-songs in the pines." — L.M. Montgomery
Each autumn month has something different to offer.
18. "How beautiful the leaves grow old, how full of light and color are their last days." — John Burroughs
Leaves provide a deep metaphor that can be applied to life as a whole.
19. "Winter is an etching, Spring a watercolor, Summer an oil painting and Autumn a mosaic of them all." — Starley Horowitz
You can find elements of other seasons in Fall.
20. "There is something incredibly nostalgic and significant about the annual cascade of autumn leaves." — Joe L. Wheeler
You can fall back into memories of jumping into leaf piles and other childhood autumn traditions.
21. "Autumn carries more gold in its pocket than all the other seasons." — Jim Bishop
There's just something more special about Fall.
22. "I cannot endure to waste something as precious as autumn sunshine by staying in the house." — Nathaniel Hawthorne
This is the season of the most perfect weather.
23. "Autumn seemed to arrive suddenly that year. The morning of first September was crisp and golden as an apple." — from "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows"
It's a season of magic.
24. "Autumn shows us how beautiful it is to let things go."
Fall is the season of giving, in more ways than one ... and that's okay.
25. "Be like a tree and let the dead leaves drop." — Rumi
We have a lot to learn from nature, especially in the fall.
26. "A distinct smell ... a mixture of the dried leaves on the ground and the smoke from the chimneys and the sweet ripe apples."
Even a short description is specific enough to stimulate all the senses.
27. "I am made for autumn. Summer and I have a fickle relationship, but everything about autumn is perfect to me. Wooly jumpers, scarves, thin first, then thick, socks. The low slanting light, the crisp mornings, the chill in my fingers, those last warm sunny days before the rain and the wind. The moody hues and subdued palette punctuated every now and again by a brilliant orange, scarlet or copper goodbye." — Alys Fowler
For those of us that welcome the end of summer.
28. "And all at once, summer collapsed into fall." — Oscar Wilde
Because when summer ends, it ends quickly.
29. "Anyone who thinks fallen leaves are dead has never watched them dancing on a windy day." — Shira Tamir
You get to see little miracles you can't see any other time of the year.
30. "The leaves are changing; I feel poetry in the air." — Laura Jaworski
And you yourself get to appreciate those miracles.
More for You on YourTango:
Alison Cerri is a writer who covers astrology, pop culture and relationship topics.